Sunday, March 20, 2011

Thoughts on food security...

I have been thinking about food a lot over the last week. I have a tendency to "live in my head" as Superman says, but I feel like I have a tendency to live in the kitchen actually! I seem to always be cooking or preparing a meal for my hungry hordes.


But the thinking has been more about food security and what it means to me...so here are some of my random thoughts....

Because we make our own bread I know the grain is organic and full of nutrients. It is not empty calorie bread with ingredients on the labels that I do not understand.

I know that our vegetables are grown without artifical fertilizers and without harmful pesticides.


This means I am happy that we are not putting harmful things into our bodies which could outweigh the goodness of the food.

I am secure knowing that I can make whole nutritious food for my family whether it is pasta, jams, bread, salads, sauces...not much comes from a can or packet in our home these days.

If I needed to, we could probably eat from our pantry, freezer and garden for another 2 weeks before needing to pop out to the shop for some basics. I would like this to be pushed to 4 weeks, but with the change of season, a lot of the main summer vegetables are coming to the end.

I know what is in season through the year so I can eat from, and store up, these things for when they are out of season.
Eating seasonally, and locally, means I need not stretch my budget unnecessarily. This year we went without avos until we could get them locally and even though I eyed them out many times, the "IMPORTED FROM SPAIN" keep me form buying them.

I am secure knowing that the water that we now drink is pure, free from heavy metals, flouride and other nasty chemicals from the municipal water cleaning process.

I believe that the time and effort put into sourcing or growing organic foods will save us on doctors bills. The old saying: "pay the doctor or pay the grocer" is foremost in my mind.

I know that we were started on this path for a reason, I am not entirely sure what the end purpose is, but I am truly glad that we are teaching these simple skills to our children who are sadly being raised in an instant gratification culture and this which we impart to them is from a slower wiser era.

8 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

I agree about eating as much as possible from the pantry. You are surely on the right track. I love watching your journey. Thank you for sharing.

africanaussie said...

very thoughful post - I wish my vegetable garden was as prolific as yours! I am still on the quest to grow vegetables year round, but always struggle at the end of the wet season. Do you grind your own grain for bread? I am thinking of getting some wheat berries and sprouting them for bread - think that would be fun...

Hazel said...

I hope you are on the 'right' path...because I am walking it alongside you. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Your thoughts are inspiring! Better still - you are doing it! You shine a light for those of us who are "a work in progress" and learn from season to season.

Tuinmeisie said...

Thought provoking post, Wendy. I was telling my hubby the other day if we had a natural disaster and couldnt go to the stores, would we be able to survive and fend for ourselves.

SuperBees said...

Wendy, you are doing an excellent job - and you are very inspiring!
love Susan xx

dixiebelle said...

Great post!

Sherrin said...

I am loving your blog. Thanks for sharing your adventures in growing food and living a more sustainable lifestyle.