Sunday, February 13, 2011

Getting ready for the next season.

Well, I'm baaack! My PC is now working, but I must say that I have really enjoyed the time away from here, although I did miss posting. My back is still not better, and we have an MRI scheduled for the next month. That's a bit of a downer....however, lots has been going on so this is a quick update.

We have some new chickens! When we went away recently, I took the chooks to a friends farm for a holiday. We left behind 3 of the 4 and brought back 5 new ones and our older one. They are still quite young but should start laying in the next month. At the moment they are let out into the original vegetable garden for the day as there is just corn and some tomatoes there and lots of empty beds for them to scratch in.

We have also ordered our next season's seeds. I am trying heirloom's again and have ordered for our autumn and winter plantings. We can grow right through winter and these seeds need the last few months of autumn heat to get started. Cabbage (red and white), broccoli, cauliflower (white , Romanesco and purple), brussel sprouts, onions, curly kale, pak choi, peas, turnips and broad beans are going to be our main crops.

We also have planted our winter potato harvest and will grow carrots, beets, turnips and other soup vegetables and of course our salads.

We still had some cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli seeds from last season which are now sprouting in their newspaper cups.

Our garden is blooming...butternuts, marrow, patty pan, corn, tomatoes, cucumbers and beans are still producing and there are lots of new flowers on the plants which should see us through autumn. Today we harvested this basket which will make up part of the vegetable portions of our meals this week.

On the homemaking front, I am thinking ahead to winter and the indoor handiwork which will keep us busy and to that end, my daughter and I have set up a sewing area where we can sow winter pj's in the next few weeks. I hope that having the things out and set up all the time will take away some of the procrastination! I am also determined to learn to knit socks this year.

Well, that's all for now, folks! How are you all doing?

7 comments:

Hazel said...

sorry to hear that your back is still bad. I too am beginning to plant a similar range of seeds with Autumn coming on.

Kids and Canning Jars said...

Glad you are back. I hope your back heals soon! Thank your for the update.
I am also working on a sewing area. We seem to be sewing a lot more recently and putting everything away is getting old.
Good luck,
Melissa

Lois Evensen said...

Hi Wendy,

We are in transition here, too, only we are ready to drive between two different types of weather from Florida to Ohio - about 1,100 miles. Hopefully, the Ohio weather will be more mild by the time we get there.

So, so sorry about your back. I hope there is something that can be done for it. Back pain is no fun at all! Ouch!

Hugs,
Lois

Tuinmeisie said...

Welcome back Wendy. Good luck with the new plantings. I have onions, broccoli and cauliflower in seedling pots currently. Carrots and beetroot in the ground.

Do you think its too late to plant sweet potato now?

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

Hi Tuin Meisie

You can plant sweet potatoes over winter if you are not in a frist area.

Thanks for all the wishes and welcomes!

Wendy

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

Sorry that should be "frost" area!

Westcoast Peace of Paradise said...

Hi Wendy,
Sorry to hear that your back is still playing up! I hope it gets better quickly!
I am wondering if you can give me any advice. I have planted carrot seeds but incredibly, all four rows have failed to come up. Have you experienced any problems with carrot seeds? Is it too hot at the moment?
(West Coast).
All the best
Barbara