Friday, December 3, 2010

Beans, beans and more beans

Yes, beans are arriving fast and furious. I planted 4 patches in 4 stages and 2 are producing at the moment. The others should come in towards mid summer.

My bush beans are hanging heavy with beans - we picked a bowl full last night and there is still double that on the plants. We will pick those over the weekend and either freeze them or try Delicious Jane's recipe of preserving them in salt.

I love my bean barrel outside my bedroom window. I made a simple teepee in the barrel with canes, planted two Lazy Housewife beans at each cane and then watched it grow.

The lazy housewife beans get big quickly and we prefer them raw in salads so I try to pick them young. Sometimes they are so well disguised that I miss a few. It's a game of hide and seek.

2 comments:

grammie g said...

Hi Wendy...Oh do they ever look good....it will be a few months or so before we have them here!!
Enjoy the fruit of you labor!!

Lois Evensen said...

That all looks so good! We are getting snow in Ohio now, but your pictures of wonderful veggies remind us that Spring will get here eventually!