Sunday, October 31, 2010

Here we go again!

Today we made a start on the last area of our garden that we are going to convert to veggies and fruit trees.

On Thursday we will be getting some labourers in to dig the trench beds (I will explain what we are doing in another post this week) so we have to get the trees out before they get here.

Today the Plumbago and Hibiscus were marked for removal. Superman bought a new toy for the job!


We placed all the smaller branches through the shredder for mulch.



The mulch is part of my "save water this summer" campaign. As we chop the rest of the trees out (3 more to go) we will store wood for winter, use leaves for the trenches and the branches for mulch so that the whole garden will have a good layer on top of the soil.




6 comments:

grammie g said...

Hi Wendy... looks like things are moving right along ...keep up the good work and watch out for what was it superman!!

Lois Evensen said...

You are so busy! I love watching all of your projects.

Lois Evensen said...

You are so busy! I love watching all of your projects.

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron

Grant said...

Hey my friend, just watch that the still green mulch doesn't rob the soil of nitrogen as it breaks down. You might need to give your beds a nitrogen boost. We had that happen last year with our lettuce after mulching with 'green' sawdust.

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

Thanks for the heads up Cath, I did have a fleeting thought about that when I laid it. This weekend we are planning on collecting some kelp from the beach to make a seaweed tea which I will feed to the corn and marrows as soon as it is ready. I also have lots of worm juice ready to go onto the garden.
I appreciate your input. Thanks!