Thursday, October 7, 2010

Beans, tomatoes, pumpkins and compost.

I always feel that when my tomatoes go in the ground, spring has really arrived. Since being back the children and I have spent each morning in the garden clearing out, adding compost and planting new seeds or seedlings.

On Monday we pulled spent broad beans and peas and planted corn and bush beans.


On Tuesday we made two huge banked beds for strawberries. I am not sure if I am happy about growing strawberries at ground level, but for now this is where they are. I still need to put down straw.

Yesterday we turned the compost heap much to the chickens delight. They feasted until they almost popped! At the back of the heap I have planted Ghostrider Pumpkins again like last year.



We also reclaimed a wine barrel from some over grown herbs. My little one had to grow beans for a botany experiment so we put that in the centre of the pot. There are seeds planted at each dowel.



I also have a narrow bed under the bathroom window that I am going to experiment with. Against the wall I have a makeshift trellis which I hope will support more beans and I have planted a few tomato plants in the front.



Lastly we cleared out another bed of spent peas and after adding compost, planted tomato seedlings that we raised.



As my broad beans come to an end we will plant more corn. Today a storm is looming so we are going to focus our tasks inside by making some blueberry jam and pie filling. My darling dad bought 4 bags for me and left them in the freezer.

We are back to school next week so this is literally "making hay while the sun shines!"

6 comments:

primitive ole frugal mumma said...

it looks like you have been busy ...and yum Blueberry jam one of our favourite :-)

Kate said...

Wendy, a question: we've just planted our first garden, & it's really getting hit by caterpillars.Sigh - not very motivational. How do you deal with this? It's not an invasion, they just seem to always be there, munching away. Do you just expect a certain amount of munching & hope the seedlings survive, or do you have some combat strategies? (We tried toilet roll collars, but doesn't seem to help) Thanks, appreciate your thoughts if you have any to share.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate

What type of caterpillars are they? Are they furry orange and black ones or the grey and yellow ones?

Which plants are being attacked?

The best remedy for caterpillars is hand picking a couple of times a day.

If there are still eggs on the leaves of your vegetables you can make a chilli/garlic spray. The recipe is on my blog under pest control.

Hope this helps, it's very disheartening to watch the critters destroy your hard work.

Wendy (on my duaghter's name!)

Lois Evensen said...

Wow, you've been so busy. And, you'll surely have plenty to show for it as everything grows and matures. I agree about the hot (chili) sauce. I make a hot sauce and water concoction to put on the roses, too, and it keeps the nasty little critters away. It also keeps the kitties from digging up the compost below and using it as a potty.

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

Hi Lois

I do hope that our yields will be good. Today I noticed that a cutwork got to one of my newly planted marrow plants! Argh!

I have not forgotten about your request for more photos of the trip. My daughter is busy making a slide show of the trip which I will post soon.

Kate said...

thanks wendy - will give that a try - tried a vinegar/water mix I'd read about to no avail. so hopefully chilly mix will be the winner. At the moment it's tiny green ones - and some furry orange (at least those are easy to see). Been picking them off whenever I can, but it's not practical to do that too often. Seem to be munching pretty much everything - broccoli & chinese cabbage are the hardest hit. Will try the spray though - thanks.
- jam looks great by the way!