Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Brown Gold

I get very excited over the topic of compost.

Mainly because I know that it will help in growing my family great vegetables, but also because it has the ability to massively reduce the amount of waste people throw away.

We have two composting areas. The one is caged...


The other is just a heap.


I like to turn them as much as I can every 6 weeks or so, but it is hard work.

Yesterday we had a really warm sunny day for winter so I headed for the heaps with my little helpers and gave it a good digging over.

Earthworms were there in every forkful, and some unsavory looking grubs. The grubs I collected (eeish - gross...I know!) and the chickens made short work of them!


We took some of the really well broken down compost and filled the 40 pots the girls made last weekend.



I sowed broccoli and beet seeds in them. On the next warm day I am going to make more pots with the kids and sow peas, I think!

1 comment:

Lois Evensen said...

We call our compost black gold. :) We have 3 bins, put in 31 years ago before it was a popular thing to do, and have rare, medium, well done as the compost material goes through the process during the seasons until used. Yes, beautiful for veggies and flowers. :) Yours looks terrific!