Sunday, May 9, 2010

Smells of Motherhood

Yes, there are truly smells of motherhood.

I remember the smell of my grandma's toffee she used to make....and her fudge. I remember the smell of my moms meatballs, Sunday roasts and cornish pasties.

Today my home smelled of sage drying on a low heat in the oven, lemon grass essential oil, fresh bread, apple sauce and fresh basil as I busied myself in the kitchen. Superman and the little Super Heroes have taken on the normal meals today which have been a great blessing so that I could spend the time on other kitchen tasks.

In a break in the rain I quickly harvested almost all of our basil to make into pesto.





Then I cooked up the last of our gleaned apples into applesauce to use in baking this week.





While this was happening I set bread dough on to rise - enough for three loave for the week to go with some soup and to be made into pesto-mozarella toasted sandwiches.



I also made two batches of soap. One batch was the original recipe which I have made before, the other was a new recipe from Slow Living Essentials. We have so much sage that the sage and lemon grass soap that Christine made seemed like a good idea. I will post photos of that tomorrow.





Tomorrow I will cut up the soaps and leave to cure for 5 weeks, just in time too as our first batches will soon be used up.

Lastly, to all moms out there, well done on your nuturing traditions, the smells from your kitchens, the produce from your gardens and the love from your hearts poured out on your children.

4 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

My goodness you have been busy on Mothers Day! I just love all of your images and recipes. Thank you so much! And, Happy Mothers Day once again.

Lois

Chris said...

What a wonderful day in the kitchen! I love the way that smells can trigger memories...
Your home must have smelt divine yesterday. Looking forward to seeing your soaps!

Linda said...

Happy Mother's Day to you:)

Leigh said...

Hi. I found your blog by following links. Great idea for the pesto! I just made some for the first time this year, but didn't think of anything so clever for freezing it.