Friday, May 7, 2010

For the love of Mexican food!

There are a few things that really get my tastebuds all fired up. I love love love coriander and I love love mild chillies - Superman does the "burn-and-sweat" ones. About 3 years ago we watched a movie called "Tortilla Soup" which you have to watch with things to eat. As this "chef-dad" prepares the most delectable feasts each night for his daughters, your own tastebuds start crying out for food.

Thus began my journey into Mexican food. I taught myself to make a killer tortilla soup and this is our families all time favorite meal...no doubt here! But I also learned how to use chillies and coriander in many other dishes.



I have taught myself how to make killer frijoles...want to know how? Well, soak and cook your red beans (you can also buy canned ones) then fry some onion and garlic and a little fresh chilli. Then add the beans and cook until soft. Mash them with your wooden spoon as you stir. Then add two heaped tablespoons of cream cheese and voila!



My chilli plants are still dripping with chillies and even though we prefer to eat them fresh, we may have to can a few more bottles. We have 9 chilli plants of different varieties and strengths, so I just pick and pickle them together.



A simple easy Mexican meal that I whip up at least once a week is spicy mince served with frijoles, homemade quacamole, grated cheese, flour tortillas, lettuce and tomatoe. This takes no longer than 20 minutes to get to the table, especially if I have lots of hands to help.

No comments: