Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Winter weather, soup and jerseys

The last two days have seen us digging out our jerseys from the back of the cupboards as the distinctive winter cold is here. It was ticklng us a couple of weeks ago, but now, even at noon, we need a jersey.

Probably a week or so early for the plant, but I just had to try my turnips in a warm soup for lunch. So I pulled out the biggest ones and made a turnip, leek and potato soup for lunch.



Fry some leeks and garlic in a good dollop of butter.
Peel and quarter 1 potato per eater.
Peel and halve the turnips.
Stir them into the melted butter.

Add 1 litre of chicken stock, some salt and pepper. Allow to simmer until veggies are soft.

Use your stick blender to smooth. Add in 1 cup of cream. Serve with hot buttered toast and a sprinkling of parsley.



Delicious. Just right for a cool day lunch.

2 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Thank you for the recipe. It looks delicious. I will have to go to the garden in my local grocery store to get the ingredients instead of from my own garden, but it will still be good. This is pure comfort food. :)

Lois

Tanya Murray said...

That looks delicious. For some reason I haven't thought to make turnip soup before. I guess we get stuck in ruts and thats why blogging is so good and gets us inspired for new things. We are having a very late Indian Summer here and even a thunder storm last night that was very reminiscent of the tropics...weird! Thanks for the recipe.