Saturday, January 9, 2010

Strawberry & Rhubarb Crumble

We have had such a glut of strawberries that my children are starting to turn their noses up at these stunning little berries. The last glut was made into delicious strawberry jam.

I often use them in smoothies or on my yoghurt in the morning. But this week we had so many coming ripe because of the heat that I needed to do something else. We also have 6 rhubarb plants that needed a trim so I cut off the outer leaves of each plant and turn this combination into a delicious pudding.



The recipe is from Animal Vegetable Miracle. It's an interesting book about a family's journey into becoming locavores. I.E. eating seasonal local produce all year round.



So...combine 4 cups of strawberries (halved) and 4 cups of rhubarb stalks (chopped) with 1/2 cup of honey. Mix together 2 cups of oats, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of ww flour, 1/2 cup melted butter and sprinkle over rhubarb and strawberries.



Bake until crispy and bubbling. I served this with vanilla ice cream as the rhubarb is very tart and the hot and cold went together superbly!

No comments: