Friday, April 10, 2009

Compost and chickens

Everyday our chickens get walk-about-time. I do wish we could leave them out all day but I fear the dogs would get them.

Each day they make a beeline for the compost. One of the chickens always goes into the "caged" compost and spends her time scratching there. The other 3 tend to stay on the older pile.



When it is time to come in I stand at their coop and call them and they come running, wings flapping and clucking because I treat them as they go in with a slice of crumbled bread. They are giving us 4 eggs a day and so much pleasure...





Nature has a way of beautifying (is that a word?) man made things, and we have a gem squash plant growing through the fence and over the compost cage...with it's bright yellow flowers it is such a gorgeous site...

1 comment:

Rina ... also Chester or Daisysmum. said...

Hi Wendy,
You won't believe we can't get gemmies in OZ freely, so when you do we save seeds and pass on. I got some in Brisbane one year, dried the seeds and planted the next season. I like you blog very much and might even contact you next time I go home
Daisysmum