Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The good...the bad...and the ugly

We have been away over the festive season and came home to some good and some bad surprises!

The good...our seedlings shot up and are ready for planting out. We have melons, spinach, beet and chilli ready to go out.



Our potatoes are about 10cm high and ready to be banked up.




The bad...my squashes have got powdery mildew on the leaves and stems. The organic cure is to spray it with full cream milk in a 50/50 dilution with water.




But the squashs are still growing...hopefully we can save most.



The ugly...rats!!!! We saw them sneaking into the coup the night we got back...I think they are after the left over corn from the chickens. So I got two horrendous traps (didn't want to use poison) and all three were caught...horrible-horrible-horrible. It has taken me a week to get over my guilt, but after all its the survival of the fitest! They had eaten my brocoli and were starting in on my corn.

No comments: